ccw...

CRAZY CLAY WEEK!!!
(CCW)

If you were to talk to my art colleagues, they could tell you that I am the worst procrastinator when it comes to clay! And I don't know why - once I get into it I really enjoy it.
It's the preparing, finding space to store fragile clay projects, and having my room be so darn D-U-S-T-Y.

So, this year I had this brilliant idea - aahh - that I would designate a whole week - since I only see my students once a week - just for clay projects. Yep, that would be kindergarten through fifth grade, all in one week. And today is the LAST day!!! Well, kinda. The fifth grade are creating masks which take a bit longer, plus I have them watch the Peggy Flores mask making video before hand. But, after today I will have ALL K-4th grade clay projects made and drying.
I will post pictures of our projects soon. They are turning out so GREAT!!!

See that little purple-eyed fish down at the bottom of the pile? That's how I feel right now with all the clay related things going on in my room. Ugh...TGIF...



5 comments:

  • Katie Morris | April 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM

    I do all my clay projects in one week too. One class to build, one class to paint. (No kiln.) It's crazy but at least it's all done after that and I only have to get the tables cleaned once a day instead of switching out supplies in the non-existant pass period between classes. This year I put off clay with K-3 big time! I have my clay week scheduled for the first week in May. I don't have a good place to store 3D projects so once we run out of room on my shelf, I put out butcher paper on the floor and write the class name on it. As long as people pay attention where they walk it works ok.

  • Phyl | April 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM

    I also use air dry clay, and maybe I should do them all at once but I don't. I think it's easier to find room for everything to dry if you space them out. But it would make it eaiser for cleanup, and making slip would be a pne-shot deal too.

  • Chesterbrook Academy Elementary | April 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM

    I do sympathize with your crazy clay week.

    I had a crazy clay night when I tried to bake some of my clay projects due to the lack of a kiln.

    Things started to pop in the oven,and when I took the tray out I found that some of the Buddha ears came apart.
    I will have to find a way to glue the ears back.

  • Unknown | May 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

    I'm sending you a Versatile Blog Award! Congrats and thanks for all of the beautiful work you share! :-) Please visit my site to get details. http://thecreativesanctuary.blogspot.com/

  • OC Elementary Art | April 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM

    I finally came up with the idea of doing my clay outside on the sidewalk on plastic placemats or now I have masonite boards that are covered with donated canvas bags! Keeps the dust out since I am allergic to dust as some students might be as well! mara

Post a Comment